Guide to Mining Motors
The mining industry is known as an extremely tough environment. There are significant challenges associated with mineral extraction both above and below ground. The mining, processing, and transporting of these minerals requires the most heavy duty and robust industrial motors and components available.
Applications Using Mining Motors:
- Slurry Pumps
- Vacuum Pumps
- Ventilation fans
The mining industry requires industrial motors that are safe, reliable, and offer premium efficiency. These motors should also carry global certifications and modular designs. Minimizing downtime is essential to optimizing production, so tough motors that will protect against heat, dirt, dust, and other contaminants are a must.
The following features and characteristics should be considered when selecting a motor for a mining application :
- IE3 premium efficiency is preferred
- Low noise fan design to reduce audible noise generated by the motor, complying with most site noise limits.
- Optimized heat dissipation ensuring stable motor performance in higher ambient temperatures.
- Earthing bolt for an electrically safe installation
- Higher thermal working capacity utilizing class H insulation providing 180 degree Celsius thermal limit.
- High quality seals ensuring no harmful ingress of contaminants within dusty environments.
- Oversized terminal boxes for terminating larger cables and allowing longer cable runs.
- Solid feet for rigidity and with multiple mounting holes for retrofit applications.
- Stainless steel hardware.
- Heavy duty, anti-corrosive paint to withstand the typically harsh environments found in mining and mineral processing.
- Vacuum Pressure Impregnation (VPI) varnished winding wire suitable for operation by Variable Speed Drives (VSD).
- Service factor of 1.15 to handle overloading in normal operation.
- IP66 rating for dusty environments
- Labyrinth gamma shaft seals, terminal box gaskets and dust tight enclosure designs with scintered bronze drain plugs provide a motor enclosure able to withstand the ingress of both dust and water that is highly durable in outdoor applications.
- High torque capability for heavy duty operations
- Starting torque is critical for heavy duty applications typically found in mining.
- Modular design for easy modifications
- Whether the requirement is vertical shaft applications, fitting flanges, rotating terminal box or other application specific changes, the motor should be easily modified to meet most needs.
The application requirements of the mining industry are as demanding as the environments in which they work. Choosing mining motors that are made for the work can help to increase uptime and production in order to lower your total cost of ownership.