Case Study - Kiln ID Fan Torsional Vibration
- Facility experienced (2) catastrophic failures of motor-driven ID fan, losses of $100k /day
- Occurred after facility replaced fluid drive with VFD
- Diagnostics performed to identify and correct harmful torsional vibrations
- Strain gage telemetry system to measure transient torques
- Bearing Vibration
- Rotational speed
- During diagnostic measurement of torque and vibration, the magnitude of the oscillations increased to over 2X nominal torque and frequency steadily increased.
- In order to reduce the torsional vibrations, a steady-state and forced response analysis was conducted based on the drivetrain inertia and stiffness to evaluate potential mechanical changes.
- Elastomeric coupling was selected and designed based on analysis.