Wind Farm Application
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind…
Wind turbine farms dot the country- and ocean-sides around the world, providing alternative energy. The wind turbine (WT) converts the wind's kinetic energy into electrical energy. Within the guts of the WT, is a device called a current torque limiter, which protects the drive train of the WT from mechanical overloads. Wind customers were requiring new features, allowing the device to have a better durability and precision.
Solar & Wind Innovations
- LAMIDISC® Couplings
- COMPOLINK Couplings
- MT Gear Couplings
- HubFlex® Shaft Couplings
- MV Generators
- IXIFLEX® Link Couplings
- Roller Bearings
- JFTL Friction Torque Limiters
- Controls & Switchgear
- HERA® Geardrives
Innovations that protect the wind!
During wind turbine operation, peak loads, reverse torques and grid shorts can occur causing costly downtime. Regal's existing Jaure® wind turbine torque limiters (JFTL) are factory-set to slip at specific customer required torque. In this way, when mounted to the generator shaft, torque limiters prevent the transmission of excess torque from the generator to the gearbox. In the event of grid fault or disturbance, the JFTL protects both the generator and the gearbox against premature failure. Additionally, JFTLs are engineered to function with the Lamilink® wind turbine coupling to provide effective protection for all turbine drivetrain components giving maximum protection.
The torque limiter "JFTL-2nd generation" represents the evolution of the JFTL torque limiter for the wind industry. This new design incorporated features such as:
- The number of slipping events increases with respect to the previous design. This means a longer life of the torque limiter.
- The design is more robust.
- The tolerance is ± 10% of the nominal slipping torque.
Regal’s brands have been providing innovative solutions to the solar and wind power industry for over a generation. From highly engineered solid state controls, AC drives, generators and motors to power transmission components.
We provide market leading solutions that reduce energy consumption, improve process throughput, provide sustainability, and increase productivity and uptime.
Marathon® generators have been an industry leader for over 60 years in providing stand-by and prime power in “Mission Critical” applications in power industry.
High performance couplings and bearings are at the cutting edge of what we do best. We are recognized for producing reliable solutions that solve problems in critical applications where performance is crucial.
- Our Grove Gear® brand is recognized throughout the world as a leader in industrial-duty gear reducers, GEAR+MOTOR™ and integral gearmotors. The Grove Gear brand offers a range of products, from single reduction worm gear reducers to quintuple reduction helical-bevel reducers.
- The Jaure® brand offers a wide range of flexible couplings that can be adapted to any given case, including low speed applications.
- SealMaster® mounted bearing offers innovative sealing technology in a variety of configurations and housing styles to address the harsh environments of fossil fuel plants.
Our Marathon® motor brand has been a leader in the motor industry for over 100 years, offering motors that are designed to work in high performance and harsh conditions.
- The Blue Chip Series® XRI® family of low and medium voltage motors has led the motor industry for over 30 years in applications where NEMA Premium® IE3 efficiencies and variable speed are required. The family consists of low voltage general purpose, severe duty, variable speed motors through 600 horsepower. Medium voltage motors are available through 13.8kV and 10,000 horsepower.
Today, our Marathon® brand builds on its 100-year-old legacy of innovative and efficient designs by the joining of magnetics, motors, and controls into a single leading technology. This allows for unparalleled power densities, unprecedented performance, and unmatched efficiencies.
- SyMAX® and NovaMAX™ PMAC radial flux motors allow you to imagine and implement possibilities that no conventional induction motor or competing variable speed technology could provide in a host of solar and wind power applications. These high torque motors meet IE4 plus efficiencies in a smaller frame size than traditional motors, providing added savings in operating cost.
Our expertise goes beyond just product engineering to include a deep understanding of your applications so that together we can apply the best solutions to optimize your product design, reduce overall cost, and increase your equipment's performance.
*NEMA and NEMA Premium are trademarks of National Electrical Manufactures Association. All Rights Reserved.