New Generation of Coupling
A problem is an opportunity…
Rolling mills are tough, dirty places that require hardened products that are as tough as the applications they operate in. Downtime and maintenance are two of the key drivers of plant profitability. Couplings are a critical component to these operations. The Metals Industry Technology team at Regal were asked to develop a new generation of couplings that meets the demands of the rolling mill.
Primary Metals Innovations
- VMT Gear Couplings
- Barrel Couplings
- HubFlex® Shaft Couplings
- Medium Voltage Motors
- Roller Table Motors
- Max-C® Couplings
- PMAC Radial Flux Motors
- IEC IE3 Motors
- Gear Spindles
The next generation of coupling!
The project began in 2013 with visits to a rolling mill from sales and engineering teams for Kop-Flex® and Jaure® couplings.. The coupling is the main drive of the heavy section rolling mill that helps form large steel structural shapes. After the initial review a hybrid coupling was developed and sent to the rolling mill for evaluation.
The coupling comprises a Kop-Flex® Max-C® resilient hybrid coupling with a Jaure® MTG gear coupling creating a game changer for the rolling mill. The Max-C itself is over 2 meters in diameter and almost 1 meter in length; and the complete coupling assembly has a length of just over 4 meters with a total weight of around 20 tons.
Our ability to support customers throughout the lifecycle of product development is a key to putting a smile on a mill maintenance operator’s face by giving them the right product for the right application.
Regal’s brands have been an industry leader in the primary metals industry for over 100 years: from providing highly engineered power transmission, bearings and spindle products to supplying controls and motors.
We provide market leading solutions that reduce energy consumption, improve process throughput, provide sustainability, and increase productivity and uptime.
High efficiency mechanical solutions are at the cutting edge of what we do best. We are recognized for producing reliable solutions that solve problems in critical applications where performance is crucial.
- Hub City™ HERA® geardrives are 90% plus efficient and a direct drop-in replacement to existing worm gears, delivering a short payback, reduced inventory and longer life.
- The Kop-Flex® couplings can help diagnose coupling problems in tough applications such as in hot and cold mills, Edgar drives, bridge rolls and levelers to save significant time and money.
- Jaure® gear spindle couplings are engineered for specific drive trains, providing critical alignment and longer life in mill applications.
- Rollway® bearings can help reduce mill downtime and unscheduled maintenance due to bearing failure.
Our Marathon® brand has been a leader in the motor industry for over 100 years, creating motors that are designed to work in the high performance and extreme conditions of the metals industry.
- The Blue Chip Series® XRI® and Blue MAX® family of motors has led the motor industry for over 30 years in applications where NEMA Premium® IE3 efficiencies and variable speed are required. The family consists of general purpose, severe duty, roller table, and variable speed motors through 600 horsepower.
Today, our Marathon® brand builds on its 100-year-old legacy of innovative and efficient designs by the joining of magnetics, motors, and controls into a single leading technology. This allows for unparalleled power densities, unprecedented performance, and unmatched efficiencies.
- SyMAX® and NovaMAX™ PMAC radial flux motors allow you to imagine and implement possibilities that no conventional induction motor or competing variable speed technology could provide in a host of mill applications. These high torque motors meet IE4 plus efficiencies in a smaller frame size than traditional motors, providing added savings in operating cost.
Our expertise goes beyond just product engineering to include a deep understanding of your applications so that together we can apply the best solutions to optimize your product design, reduce overall cost, and increase your equipment's performance.
*NEMA and NEMA Premium are trademarks of National Electrical Manufactures Association. All Rights Reserved.